Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I can't believe it....

Well I had a follow up appt today with Dr. S. First thing she tells me?!!! The lab screwed up. Dr S had put the baby in Saline solution and sent her to the lab. Well it HAS to be in a saline solution so they can grow the tissue out in order to test ALL the chromosomes! Get where I'm going yet? The technician at the lab put our baby in a Different solution which prevents the tissue from growing!! Therefore instead of 23 sets of chromosomes being tested... only 5 sets were tested!!! Those 5 sets were normal which is the results we got. However we have NO idea if the other 18 sets are normal or not. In her Gut, Dr S feels the baby still had genetic issues.

We had quite a long discussion as to what we should do next. Basically I think it's going to come down to what insurance says. Will they count a FET (Frozen embryo transfer as a IVF cyle... we are allowed 4). If they do count the FET as one of our 4 cycles, then we will likely just do another Fresh cycle first. I asked if we would change the protocol at all (meds, timing etc). She said she is hesitant to do so since we KNOW the protocol we used worked for me.

Other option, FET. We have 3 embryo's frozen. We called the lab and had them pull up the report... they are PERFECT embryo's. They graded them 5AA (all 3 of them, not just 1). 5 means that they were just about ready to hatch when they froze them. The first A is the highest grade they give to the cells that will make up the baby. The 2nd A is the highest grade they give to the remaining cells which become the placenta and such. I asked if we would be able to transfer all 3. She said it wasn't likely. She feels safe doing 2, but not 3. She said she would discuss it with the other Dr's in the practice but usually it's just 2. Of course even though they look perfect, there is still no guarantee that they are normal. There are 2 types of FET. 1) start with birth control pills for about 5 weeks. Then you have to have a trigger shot, estrogen patches and progesterone patches. The 2) is more of a natural cycle. I would go in a few days before I am supposed to ovulate and they would do an u/s to make sure... then they would do the transfer about 5-6 days after O and I would only have to do estrogen and progesterone supplements (no shots). The 2nd option is a little faster process. (I told her I prefer it because of not having to take the Birth control pills).

D's Karyotype came back normal. That is good news. I have to have a saline ultrasound about a week after Aunt Flow decides to show. We want to make sure I don't have any scarring or polyps that could cause m/c.

Oh I'm also going to try to take Metforim (spelling probably wrong).. but it would help control insulin levels just in case they are going out of wack when I get pregnant. Plus it can't hurt anything. I'm also going to take a low dose steroid.. this would help any immune issues I may be having due to the mastocytosis.

Needless to say... I don't have a confirmed plan yet. I need to talk to the insurance company first and then look at the timing for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment