I finally got to talk to a neonatologist today. He actually grabbed the phone before the nurse could. Addison had an echo the other day, and there has been no change since the prior one a few weeks ago. This Dr would have liked to have seen some change. So he decided he wanted to try to give her a med that may help close her PDA. He thinks the PDA is what is causing her desat issues since when the PDA is open it prevents all the blood from going to the lungs so some of the de-oxygenated blood is going back to the Left side of the heart (when normally only oxygenated blood does). That's why she is desatting because not all the blood is oxygenated at 100%. It's possible the med won't work due to her age, but other risks are low so it's worth a shot (I'm glad someone is finally trying something... I had asked about this med a few weeks ago!!). Course they have to take her off feeds while she is on the meds (through noon on Sunday). It can cause the vessels in the gut to constrict as well causing her issues while eating. She is on an IV again so she can get her meds and nutrients.
I'm hoping this is the cause and the meds will fix everything. If it does work, then I'm curious to see if her feeding issue (she desats a lot while eating) goes away. They stopped her caffeine 2 days ago as well so I'm hoping her reflux will get better (since caffeine makes reflux act up.)
I love it when she is alert. I can't help but smile when her eyes are bright and she smiles at me. It makes my heart swell!!
Jackson is doing great on demand feeding. He wakes up every 3 1/2 - 4 hours... he is drinking straight breastmilk (no added protein anymore or Human growth hormone). He will drink anywhere from 60 - 75ml (which is 2 - 2 1/2 oz) every feeding. He is a very quiet baby most of the time when he is waking up, I hope I hear him during the middle of the night!! Course today he did make a fairly large noise when we weren't quite ready to feed him yet. That was the loudest I have ever heard him really. LOL He has this really cute little grin too... It's so hard to catch on camera
He hasn't had a brady since 5/3... so that puts him on target to come home on Sunday. He had his 3rd brain ultrasound this week and it's normal and they don't consider him at risk for brain bleeds anymore. I think his circumcision procedure is set for Saturday.
Both of them are 6 pounds 2 oz now!!! They should also be getting their follow up eye appt within the week...
No comments:
Post a Comment