Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Egg Retrieval

Today was Egg Retrieval day! I have to say I thought I did a pretty good job keeping my nerves under control. Well at least until I walked into the procedure room. I'm getting ahead of myself though. I woke up at 600am in order to take a shower (with unscented soaps etc because the eggs/embryo's don't like the fragrances and stuff!). We left about 635am and got to the office a little early. I wanted to make sure we weren't late though! I was the 2nd egg retrieval set for today.

The worst part of today was actually trying to get the IV in me!! The first nurse used my good vein up by my elbow (where they draw blood). I didn't hurt at all. She thinks it was too close to a valve though because the fluids just wouldn't flow. So she decided to let the anethesiologists try again versus letting her stick me again. So they walked me into the procedure room (looks like an operating room). They tried an additional 2 times on my left arm and another on my right hand. My right hand is the location that finally worked!! You should see the bruise on my left arm from the 2nd attempt!! It's awful and actually made my arm hurt. I had to ice it down.

Once the IV was in my arm everything went quickly. I remember Dr S coming in and saying hello. Then they started the drugs... it burned a little going in a first like they said it would. Then after 5-10 seconds (well what I think was that long anyways)... I don't remember anything until I woke up. I thought I told someone I liked their engagement ring but honestly I don't know if that really happened! Once I woke up they said they retrieved 9 eggs!!! Woo hoo!! I am happy with that number. I knew I wouldn't get 20-30 eggs like some 20 yr olds do. They are younger and have 2 ovaries... I'm older and working with one ovary.

Now I just have to wait until tomorrow morning to find out how many fertilized and how my little embies are doing!!! We are letting the embryologist, Dr's, and embies tell us whether to do a 3 or 5 day transfer! So time to rest! I hope this post made since as I'm still on pain killers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment